Tuesday 27 March 2012

Decided, Dedicated and Declaring

I've spent the majority of my life "knowing" what I believe, even if I didn't completely understand it.  I simply believed it because that's what I was told and I didn't know any different.  I honestly remember being in my Grade 10 History class learning about "Lucy", one of our ancestors.   Here was evidence, staring me in the face, that we didn't come from Adam and Eve, but that we slowly evolved from a species more like Chimpanzees than modern humans of today - and I hardly gave a thought to this conflict.  Actually, if my memory serves me well, I remember thinking, "Well, I'll learn this so I pass but someone must have made this up."  Funny, that I should think the theory with proof behind it was fabricated rather than even considering the fairy tales I grew up reading in the Bible might be made up.  I've decided to dedicate this post to declaring what I don't believe.  This is only a step in my journey because I haven't completely figured out what I do believe, or rather, think.  For now, the best I can do is set out what I no longer put stock in.

I don't believe:

1. that there is any higher being, God or not.
2. therefore, that our reality was either instigated or is interfered with by said, non-existent higher being
3. therefore, that prayer is useful, meaningful, time worthy, or effective
4. that the Bible, Koran, or any other "holy book" is inspired, perfect, a helpful guide or the final word on anything
5. that atheists are evil
6. that heaven or hell exist (or Purgatory, although I never believed in that one anyway)
7. that babies are sinful as soon as they are born
8. that we're all responsible to the non-existent higher being for the mistake two fictional characters made thousands of years ago
9. that Jesus was anything but a man (if he even existed)
10. in the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost, speaking in tongues, Baptism of any kind,  or being "slain in the Spirit" (ask any Pentecostal if you don't know what that is - actually, just google it - it's safer)
11. that singing to "God" with or without instruments, with just the organ and piano or with a full band, accomplishes anything or is necessary
12. that anyone hears from God, that anyone can "know" things about the future or other people, that prophecy is real or that miraculous healings occur - no matter how much money you throw in the televangelists' offering plate.
13. that any religions are right, that the Devil exists and has demons and fights for our souls, that ghosts are real, that horoscopes and superstitions are true and just for fun, I'm leaving it at 13.

It really feels good to put it down on "paper" because these have all been circling in my brain for a few months now.  It's also given me a few ideas for future posts because there are quite a few I'd like to expand on.  It was really difficult for me to give up my childhood beliefs because I had worked so hard at following Christianity and trying to make it work in my life.  Being on this side of it all, I feel so free and it's so hard for me to see why it took me so long to get here.  It's also very easy to see from this side, why it was so hard for me to be a Christian.  I'm not talking about the rules.  I'm a good rule follower and I was fairly sheltered so I didn't find the moral demands to be the difficult part.  It was the praying, and the worship and people pushing for miracles and the constant question of my "relationship" with God.  I always felt that I never had one and that I was praying to myself or the ceiling and that worship was just music (I never could feel the presence of God like others claimed) and miracles couldn't be proven to be genuine.  I now see that it's as ridiculous as trying to have a relationship with Santa.  It just can't be done and you are deluding yourself if you think you have one.  It may be harsh to those that know me as a Christian but one thing I fully believe:

Imaginary friends are for children only.

No comments:

Post a Comment